Camp Arka have been running English camps in Poland for nearly 20 years. We invite you to join the Navigators UK team going to the Camp Arka English camps this summer. Team members will join a larger team of Native English Speakers teaching English to, and sharing life with, Polish youth. Each week has a different age group in focus. Initiative and flexibility are two key requirements for those interested in this programme.Tim Forester
Provisionally for 2018 the UK Navigator Team plan to attend weeks 2 and 3 of Camp Arka. The plan is detailed below and note that team members must be present for the orientation on Friday 29th June 2018 before the camps begin:
- Arrive in Wroclaw – Wednesday 27th June
- Optional excursion to Auschwitz – Thursday 28th June
- Training session, camp prep, meet the Polish team, night out – Friday 29th of June
- Camp Arka Week 2 (ages 6-11) – Saturday 30 June – Saturday 7 July
- Camp Arka Week 3 (ages 12-17) – Saturday 7 – Saturday 14 July
- Return Home – Sunday 15 July
Alternatively it is also possible to attend just the weeks as stand alone camps (nb: Camp 1 already fully booked). If this is the case please arrive by the Friday before for mandatory camp prep, meeting the team and training.
Provisional Dates for the Poland Camp Arka Weeks are as follows;
- Saturday 23 June – Saturday 30 June ~ Ages 6-11 (Camp 1)
- Saturday 30 June – Saturday 7th July ~ Ages 9-15 (Camp 2)
- Saturday 7 July – Saturday 14th July ~ Ages 12-17 (camp 3)
Note: Dates include time for on-site orientation. Only one such orientation is needed if you are attending multiple weeks. The English camps run from Saturday afternoon to Saturday morning each week.
See more at the website http://www.camparka.cepartners.org.uk/upcoming-camp/
Team size: 6-10 people.Over 18’s only.
We will hold an orientation day in the UK a few weeks before the programme starts. Attendance at this is required for all team members. Additionally, the first two days of the programme in Poland for UK participants will be an on-site orientation with local Camp Arka Staff.
There is a £15 admin fee payable to the Navigators UK that must accompany the application.
Cost per camp for English native speakers is $150 / GBP 100
2 Camps – $225 / GBP 150
3 Camps – $300 / GBP 200
Responsibilities of the UK Team
Native English Speakers helping at Camp Arka will:
· Take responsibility for the health, safety, well-being and happiness of campers during trips, at the lake, on evening programmes, during English classes and during sports activities.
· Show genuine interest in campers – learn their names, ages, how many times they have been to Camp Arka, their level of English, likes and dislikes, etc.
· Provide opportunities for the group so that each individual experiences success while at camp.
· Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
· Diagnose child’s level of English (conversation before start of the camp – evaluation test) and assign camper to the appropriate group.
· Lead English classes twice a day (except the day of arrival and departure).
· Help lead craft classes and other workshops (previously prepared and individually discussed with Polish staff).
· Help lead sports activities, teach campers new games characteristic for the native speaker’s country (individually assigned).
· As part of the team of native speakers organize one evening programme at the camp – Culture Night.
· Participate in first evening programme at the camp – Integration Games.
· Optional – join in with groups of children at the lake, join Bible lesson, on other evening programmes.
· Set a good example for campers in all areas, including cleanliness, punctuality, clean-up chores, rules, and sportsmanship.
· Follow camp rules and regulations – in particular, smoking, and possessing or consuming alcoholic beverages and/or illegal drugs are forbidden during camp.
· Report any illnesses, accidents, or behavioral problems to the Director.
· More responsibilities may be assigned as required.
· Pre-read all the English lessons outlines and discuss with your partner/group. Prepare all material for lessons.
DBS Checks: All team members will have an enhanced DBS check (PVG in Scotland) before being accepted on the programme. This check will be organized by the UK Navigators office.
Travel Insurance: All participants are required to have suitable travel and medical insurance to cover their participation in the programme. This must include provision for medical repatriation, trip cancellation and trip disruption (e.g. due to civil unrest or volcanic ash affecting air travel). You are responsible also for supplying accurate information as required by the insurer, and communicating details of your insurance arrangements to your team leader. Insurers who offer suitable insurance include Master Policy, Salt Insurance and Banner Insurance.
Passport and Visas: UK citizens with a valid UK passport with at least 6 months remaining on it can enter Poland freely provided that their stay is for less than 90 days.
The camps are organized by the Christian Educational Association “Arka” (http://arka.edu.pl/eng/). Address: Ul. Stalowowolska 24/26, 53-404 Wrocław, Poland. tel. (+48) 71 787 97 50). In the UK, the programme is advertised through the Navigators, Turner House, 54 The Avenue, Southampton, SO17 1XQ.
Application and Deadlines
This trip is open to all students and recent graduates. The deadline for applying to the programme is 31st March 2018 and we will let you know if you have been accepted within two weeks (assuming all documentation and references all received). Application is no guarantee of acceptance. Contact us for more info or complete the application form below if you’ve already made up your mind.
Turner House, 54 The Avenue, Southampton, SO17 1XQ
023 8055 8800
England & Wales: 1099148