Manchester International Outreach is a partnership with Friends International. Over the course of two weeks the team receive fantastic training about engaging students from various different backgrounds, learn lots of practical skills and have chance to share their faith with dozens of students from different countries. For anyone who is interested in world mission but would find the time commitment or cost of going abroad challenging, MIO is a great option.
Cross-cultural training and bible study each day is combined with the opportunity to put this into practice during activities with students and an international café run each evening.
Deadline: 31 May 2019
Manchester, England. We will be based mainly at a local church where we will host a café for international students. Some training and activities will be at other locations around the city.
Team members who live locally are encouraged to commute from their normal accommodation each day. Where needed Bed & Breakfast accommodation is provided with host families in Manchester. In addition, lunch and dinner is provided throughout the programme.
Up to 25 people (+ local volunteers and staff). Over 18’s only.
Just £85 if you apply before 30th April, or £95 after.
You are required to arrange your own transport to and from Manchester. The programme will be within easy access of the city centre. Where possible, we will endeavour to assist you in getting to and from a main train or bus station or Manchester airport. Once in Manchester you will get around by car, minibus, foot or bus. We can reimburse you the cost of any bus travel you make as part of the programme.
Before and After
An orientation programme will run during the first weekend where you will be able to meet the rest of the team and receive initial information and training on the programme. The final Saturday of the programme will consist of a time of debriefing and reflection on key lessons learnt. Attendance at these are required for all team members and permission to skip them will only be given in exceptional circumstances.
Applicants should be prepared to/for…
- Attend a commissioning service where you will be prayed for by local Christians.
- Attending seminars introducing you to the beliefs and practices of people with different religious and philosophical world-views to your own.
- Spending time reading the Bible, reflecting individually and in groups on what you are learning and praying through the lessons.
- Advertising the café on the streets of Manchester and at local English language schools.
- Running a café for English language students, including setting up, stewarding, preparing and serving drinks and food, and befriending guests.
- Helping perform short dramas and organise games, quizzes and other fun activities for the guests.
- Running optional Bible discussions for the guests.
- Helping to run a guest service at a local church to invite the café guests to.
- Spending time with the guests outside of the café, building on friendships made.
- Regular free periods throughout the programme to rest and/or explore Manchester.
‘Manchester International Outreach is a joint venture between Friends international, UCCF, the Navigators and local churches. From a legal standpoint it is organised by Friends International.
Please note that you are applying to join the UK team attending a programme organised by ‘Friends International’ who work in partnership with the Navigators UK. In the UK, the programme is advertised through the Navigators, Turner House, 54 The Avenue, Southampton, SO17 1XQ
Deadlines: The deadline for applying to the programme is 31st May 2019 and we will let you know if you have been accepted within 14 days. Application is no guarantee of acceptance. Contact us for more info or complete the application process if you have already made up your mind!
I’ve been involved with Manchester International Outreach for the past two years and have found it to be a brilliant learning experience for me as a member and a great opportunity to reach out to many international students who otherwise would not get to hear about God. I’m looking forward to being involved again this year.
Turner House, 54 The Avenue, Southampton, SO17 1XQ